2012年3月4日 星期日

女孩,別怕獨自旅行Woman Shouldn’t Be Afraid To Travel Alone

Woman Shouldn’t Be Afraid To Travel Alone   女孩,別怕獨自旅行

It’s dangerous. How will you get there? Where will you stay? By yourself? But, you’re a girl!
If you’re female and have an interest in travel, then you’ve probably heard these things before. I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve had someone criticize my travels – where I go, how I go, or the fact that I go myself. I am currently on an around-the-world trip, and I can assure you that solo female travel is an incredible experience and one that you should not miss out on due to fears and hesitations. Here are five reasons why it’s safe to travel alone:
「那很危險欸。」「怎麼去?妳要住哪?自己一個人?」「妳是個女生耶!」
如果妳是個女孩又很喜歡旅行,妳大概曾聽過這些話。我無法細數究竟聽過多少次別人對我的旅行的批評─去的地方、旅行的方式、或是「自己去」這件事。現在我正進行一趟環球之旅,我可以跟你保證一個女孩獨自旅行是個非比尋常的美妙經驗,千萬別因為妳的害怕或疑慮而怯步。以下,是五個獨自旅行安全的理由。


The world is small.

Even strange, foreign lands usually have some connection to your home country. Whether a friend of a friend lives there or you have a shared interest with local people, you find connections wherever you go. If you are planning your first trip, I don’t recommend heading to the middle of a war zone or to a remote island in the Pacific where you can’t speak the language. Look for a place you can relate to, whether it’s through people, activities, or culture. It can help ease you into this lifestyle.
小小世界
再怎麼陌生新奇的地方,通常都和妳的國家有些相連性。不管是有個朋友的朋友居住在那,或是妳和當地人有相同的興趣;去到哪你都能發覺一些共通點。若妳正規劃妳的處女行,我並不建議去戰亂地區或是語言不通的太平洋偏遠小島。找一個和妳有關連的地方,無論是當地人、事物或是文化。這可以幫助妳適應旅行的生活方式。

The information is out there.

There is an endless amount of resources for planning a holiday or extended trip. These days you can get advice from guidebooks, travel forums, blogs, Twitter, and fellow travelers. If you do research ahead of time, you will feel more confident about the places you travel to. I always look up issues of safety, costs, and culture before I go. Researching your intended destination can answer all of the questions you may have about your chosen destination and it will likely dispel any hesitations that are holding you back. 
 資源豐沛
規劃一個短暫假期或長程旅行都可以找到數不盡的參考資源。現在,妳可以從旅遊指南、旅行論壇、部落格、推特或其它背包客中得到建議。如果妳早早開始找資料,對未來的旅行地點就會更加有信心。在出發前,我總會找些關於當地安全、物價和文化的資訊。為妳選擇的旅行地點做點功課可以解決妳心中對當地所有的疑惑,也極可能消除阻礙妳的一切不安感。

It’s not as dangerous as they say.

If I look back on the times when people have told me, “Don’t go there!” or “You might die!”, it’s mostly advice from people who have never been to those places and have never done any research on them. The press is hugely influential. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve read international press coverage that is flat out wrong. You need to trust your sources and seek advice from people who know what they’re talking about. I once mentioned to my parents that I had plans to go to Rwanda. My concerned father told me, “You’re not going.”  He was obviously worried about the Rwanda’s tumultuous past. Had he done his research, he would know that Rwanda is the safest country in East Africa. Once he researched it, I never heard another word about it. Often times the crime rates in your backyard can be just as bad as the destination you’re headed to, if not worse.
人言可畏
回想起過去有人告訴我:「別去那!」「妳可能會死掉!」,建議者幾乎總是從沒去過那些地方或沒做過那些地方研究的人。新聞媒體亦有很大影響力,我說不出多少次看到國際媒體的頭版有著易見的錯誤,妳必須相信妳的資訊來源並且問問知道自己在說什麼的人。我曾對爸媽說我計劃要去盧安達,我的多慮老爸說:「不可以去。」顯而易見地他擔心盧安達動亂的過去。若他做了點功課,會知道現在盧安達是東非最安全的國家。所以在他研究過後,我就再也沒有聽過他有任何意見。多數時候家裡後巷的犯罪率可能跟妳的目的地一樣糟,或有過之而無不及。

You’re never really alone.

So you’ve decided to go on a trip solo, but you’re afraid of feeling lonely. I had my hesitations before setting out on this trip. I spent the first 150 days on the road by “myself” but really, I only spent about three of those days completely alone. I just met so many people on the way. Even with just a little effort, you’ll meet people on your travels. Whether it’s through your guesthouse, sightseeing, or sitting at a cafe, you’ll be surprised at how striking up a bit of small talk will lead to new travel buddies and lasting friendships. If you’re worried about it, look up hostels or guesthouses in advance. Make plans to participate in day trips where you will meet other like-minded travelers.
旅伴無限
妳決定了要自己一個人旅行,但又怕覺得寂寞,這趟旅程出發前我也有過這點顧慮。旅途的前一百五十天我「自己」旅行,事實上只有僅僅三天的時間是完全一個人。一路上,我碰到許多人。就算只花一點心思,妳也能在旅程中認識其它人。無論是在青年旅館、景點或坐在咖啡店,妳會很驚訝地發現一個小小聊天就可以讓妳有個旅伴,或是新的好朋友。如果妳仍擔心,先試試下榻的旅館。參加些一日小旅行,妳將會認識其它志同道合的旅人。

Take standard precautions.

Maybe you know someone who was mugged in Brazil, pick pocketed in Italy, or robbed in South Africa. That can happen anywhere and I just follow some common sense. I don’t go out at night alone in most cities, I take a reliable taxi service instead of the public bus on occasion, and I’ve been known to pay a bit more for accommodation that have a 24-hour security guard when necessary. Sometimes, people are simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. Often times, they were careless or should have been better prepared. I love a cheap hostel, I enjoy local bus rides, and who doesn’t love to go out at night for a good time? But, when my safety is involved, I avoid all of these things. If you have done your research, then take precautions to reflect on the overall safety of the place. I take precautions.
安全防禦
妳可能聽過在巴西被勒索,在義大利被扒,或在南非被搶的經驗。這可以發生於任何地方,而我總遵循著一些基本常識。大城市晚上不要隨意外出,某些特殊場合搭值得信賴的計程車而非大眾運輸;我也知道必要時得得花多一點錢住在有全天候警衛的地方。有時候,很多人只是在不對的時間出現在不對的地方;而他們常常不夠小心或是沒有做好了解準備。我喜歡廉價旅館,享受搭當地的巴士,況且誰不愛晚上出去瘋一下呢?但是當與自身安全有關時,我會避免這些事。如果妳曾做過研究,請記得對當地整體安全做些防禦措施。我總是這樣。

If you don’t go, you’ll be missing out on many amazing places and incredible experiences. Many of our fears about traveling as a female are unfounded once we get right down to it. With some planning and a taste for adventure, you can embark on your dream trip and leave those fears and hesitations behind, even if you are a girl!
如果妳不踏出腳步,會錯過非常多美麗的地方和難得的經驗,許多我們對女性獨自旅行的恐懼都在上路後消失無蹤。帶著些計劃和冒險精神,妳可以盡情擁抱夢想的旅行,並且將恐懼和遲疑拋諸腦後,即使妳是個女孩!

原文轉載自Woman Shouldnt Be Afraid To Travel Alone
中文翻譯@Reddy Ting HO

沒有留言:

張貼留言